Tuesday, January 29, 2008

hey, that's my ego you're stepping on!!

so this morning i woke up with a few things on my "to do" list. they included getting an absentee ballot for the vermont primary, and getting the mail really forwarded (i filled out one set of forms to no avail). now i should preface this with the fact that we lived happily in putney for two years. when we moved there, in 2005, the first things i did was change my address and register myself to vote. these two things are always very important to me because, let's face it, i do alot of Internet shopping, and i, unlike a lot of people in my generation, love politics. i know this makes me a touch dorkier to some of you, but--i love voting. in arkansas, they give you the "i voted" sticker when you come out of the polls. my friends and i would drive three hours from college--on a school night--just to vote in our home town--and then drive three hours back to school so we could make it to our wednesday morning classes. so, yes, i value voting. so i called the putney town clerk. she searched for me in the town register. and searched for me in the list of voters. and searched for me in the list of people added since 2007. (i had kept my voter transfer paper (from westminster to putney-- i remember throwing it away in the moving process). she told me "they have no record of me living in putney." she also asked that i come in and actually register to vote. wow. no record. i regestered to get married in putney. i put that putney was my legal town of residence. no questions then. i go to the putney library. i shop at the putney coop. and yet they have NO RECORD of me. i know half the town. and they lost my mail forwarding slip so poor karen and jack are still getting my mail at the farm. how nice. i would like to think i had made some impact on putney people. but i guess not. i made no impact. that is all of my pitty party for today.

3 comments:

Crispin H. Glover said...

Trust me, there is a large hole in Putney where you used to be. There is also a slightly larger hole where Dustin used to be and that's only becuase he's a tad larger person, not because you are any less important or dearly missed.

RobCartelli said...

I thought dustin's hole is larger because of that sputnik of a head. I don't know, that's just what I heard.
And anyways, you know that guy that stands across from the diner with a sign all day long sometimes? Yesterday he had one that said, "Cortney votes with her feet. I know this because she round-house drop kicked me with one of them and I time traveled to the future where I got to freak everybody out with my old-talking ways and obscure protest sign."
That seems like a pretty big hole to me.

princess cortney said...

thanks you guys. we miss ya'll, too!